Updated Covid-19 Information
Updated as of March 4, 2022
Based on the expiration of the governor’s executive order 21-87, slated to end after 5:00 pm on March 4, 2022 and based on updated CDC recommendations, the following updates have been made to the Cranston Public Schools COVID-19 protocols:
- Cranston Public Schools will shift to optional mask/face covering wearing for all students and staff in buildings beginning on March 7, 2022 regardless of vaccination status.
- Cranston Public Schools’ protocol regarding isolation and quarantine will follow the recommendations of the RI Department of Health. This may include a recommendation for masking/face covering under certain circumstances.
- Cranston Public Schools encourages vaccination for all eligible members of the school community, which includes the booster for those eligible.
- During sports and related activities all athletes must follow the athletic guidance from the Superintendent, (or designee), the Rhode Island Interscholastic League and CDC based on the requirement of their sport.
- In accordance with Cranston Public Schools’ bullying policy, publicly shaming or bullying any individual due to the status of a mask/face covering will not be tolerated in any way and may result in disciplinary action.
- When transporting students, we will follow CDC guidance, directives and regulations, which, as of February 25, 2022, no longer requires mask/face coverings on public/private school buses or vans operated by the school district.
- Covid-19 Testing: We will no longer be doing “pool” or asymptomatic testing in schools. However, we will continue to test symptomatic students, if parents have consented. This includes BiNax (rapid) tests and/or PCR tests, if necessary.
- In the event of a positive case: staff or students are required to stay home for five days of isolation from the date of symptom onset or test date, students and staff can return to school on day six if no fever and no symptoms are present.
- It is recommended that those who have tested positive or been exposed to a positive case return to school with a mask/face covering for five more days.
- Notification of positive cases will be sent out for whole classes at the elementary level and for the whole school at the secondary level.