Face Covering Policy
Policy for Face Coverings-COVID 19
The Cranston School Committee is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and their families.Pursuant to RI General Laws 16-2-9, 16-2-9.1 and 16-2-18, the Cranston School Committee has the responsibility to enforce applicable Federal and State laws, rules and regulations, best practices and guidelines set forth from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) and RI Department of Health (RIDOH) for face coverings.
Wearing Face Coverings in Cranston Public Schools
All face coverings will follow the RIDOH and CDC guidance, including the following:
- It must have two or more layers.
- It must cover your nose and mouth and be secured under the chin.
- It must fit snugly against the side of your face with no gaps.
- It may not have exhalation valves or vents.
- If you wear a face shield, you must still wear a face covering.
- Gaiters and bandanas are not acceptable face coverings and will not be permitted.
Face coverings will be required to be worn by all staff, students and other individuals entering school premises and/or attending school events or functions.
- Employees/Students/Visitors shall wear a face covering while on school grounds.
- Students who do not arrive at school with a face covering, will be provided one.
- Face coverings should be provided by the student/family, but extra disposable face coverings will be made available by the school for students and/or staff who need them. Reusable face coverings provided by families should be washed by families daily.
- Face coverings are required to be worn by everyone on the bus during school bus transportation.
- During sports and related activities all athletes must have an approved face covering with them at all times and follow the athletic guidance per the Superintendent or designee,the RIIL and CDC based on the requirement of their sport.
- Students who refuse to wear a face-covering that covers their nose and mouth shall engage in a meeting with school staff and the students’ families to build an appropriate plan, which may include mandatory distance learning, to support the student and the family to ensure compliance with this policy. In no event can a plan provide that the student be allowed to be in a classroom without wearing a mask, except as set forth below:
- Face covering breaks should occur throughout the day, as determined by the principal and where appropriate social distancing can be maintained. Breaks should occur when students can be consistently six or more feet apart and ideally outside or at least with the windows open.
- Designated district personnel shall work with all students to build up their tolerance for wearing face coverings. Face coverings are not required when eating breakfast, during snack time, and lunch time. During those times face coverings may be removed and social distancing guidelines should be followed.
- Non-compliant students may be required to attend distance learning environments.
- These requirements may be incorporated into the Student Discipline Code.
- Non-compliant staff may be subject to discipline.
- Non-compliant third parties shall not be allowed to enter school facilities or attend school events.
- When a staff member is alone in a room/office, they may remove their face covering.
- Cloth face coverings should not be placed on children younger than age two.
- No one within the developmentally-delayed population will be forced to wear a face covering.
In carrying out this policy, the administration shall apply, as appropriate, rules, regulations and requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29USC794). Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 USC 12131-12134) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (20 USC 1400, et seq) all as amended from time to time, as well as any other applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Policy Adopted: 10/5/2020 (Res. No. 20-10-04) CRANSTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Policy Amended: 11/16/2020 (Res. No 20-11-07) CRANSTON, RHODE ISLAND